Replay Mod Forums

Issues rendering ODS 180VR footage w/ shaders
    • User
    • 2 forum posts
    User177288

Aug 16 19, 03:21 AM | Last edited: Aug 16 19, 07:10 PM

Hello Replay Mod Community,

Currently working on a 180VR project that will ultimately go up on youtube and I'm currently having issues with the rendering process.

Current Versions and mods:

ffmpeg 4.1.3
    MultiMC 5 - Version 0.6.6-1341
    Minecraft 1.14.3
    Fabric 1.4.8+build.157
    Fabric api 0.3.0+build.198
    OptiFine 1.14.3 HD U F2 MOD
    Optifabric 0.4.3
    Replaymod 1.14.3-2.2.0-b6

Sildurs Vibrant Shaders v1.22 High
    Sildurs Vibrant Shaders v1.22 Extreme-VL

So, followed the video guide Crushed Pixel made on making VR renders. On a very beefy gaming computer, using ODS rendering, set to 180* gave me a normal Stereoscopic Equirectangular (Normal) render. (See Fig 1)

BUT, with the shaders enabled, I got a strange cubic-like (Cubic-like) rendering instead. (See Fig 2).

I have tried various other shaders (SEUS, KUDA, BSL) and got the same Cubic-Like rendering consistently every time. I have tested with Sildurs Vibrant Shaders v1.22 High set to the lowest settings possible, God Rays off, Motion Blur off, Waving Objects off, Bloom off, Reflections off, etc. Same Result. Tried it on all 3 of the computers we originally played with (exact same build and install), Same Result.

So my questions are:
    Has anyone seen this before?
    Am I doing something wrong or are shaders incompatible with 180 ODS rendering?
    Are there specific shader settings I should be using?
    Is the resulting Cubic-like usable, and if so, how should I be setting up the project in Premiere?

In the interest of time, I rendered out the footage with no shaders to get going on editing the project by my deadline, but I would love to re-render it all out with the beautiful shaders the original players experienced.

One thing to note is that I had a strange render interaction on one of the user's replays, where, while rendering a player in first person with no shaders, it rendered ODS normally for a good 15 minutes, then suddenly, mid video, kept switching back and forth between Normal and Cubic-like, before being stuck in Cubic-like until the player interacted with an object about a minute later (loose items on the floor were scooped up) and it set back to Normal for the remainder of the render.

Finally, aside from this issue, this Mod is amazing. Thank you very much for all your hard work making something like this possible!

[EDIT - image fixes]

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts
    User10

Aug 16 19, 07:55 AM

Shaders are inherently incompatible with ODS rendering because ODS rendering itself is implemented as a shader.

First person hasn't had a ton of testing, so it might be that there's something which breaks ODS as well. Could you upload the replay with the camera path, so I can try to reproduce it on my machine?

For embedding images, you need to use the direct link (i.e. should end in .png/jpg/etc) to the image, not the link to the hosting site's page which itself has the image embedded.

• User
    • 2 forum posts
    User177288

Aug 16 19, 07:08 PM

Hi Johni0702,

Thanks for responding about this. Are there any future plans to add any feature/options from typical shaderpacks (waving objects, god rays, bloom, etc) to that ODS shader?

I can send along the replay file though I might have since changed the camera path, but not till after the project is delivered to client.

Thanks for the tip about embedding images! I'll change them out.

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts
    User10

Aug 16 19, 07:18 PM | Last edited: Aug 16 19, 07:18 PM

"Are there any future plans to add any feature/options from typical shaderpacks (waving objects, god rays, bloom, etc) to that ODS shader?"
    No.
    While both are technically shaders (i.e. OpenGL shaders), the RM's implementation for those is fairly single-purpose and would have to be extended to support any typical shaderpack things. Which would require effort on the scale of re-implementing the shader part of Optifine (i.e. an unreasonable amount) or integrating RM's ODS stuff into Optifine (which could only be done by OF's author and therefore probably won't ever happen).

"I can send along the replay file though I might have since changed the camera path, but not till after the project is delivered to client.."
    I'd require a replay with a camera path which triggers the issue you described, doesn't have to be the same one as on your first attempt but it has to trigger the issue (otherwise it's of little use).
    You're the first to bring up the issue and RM development is usually fairly slow anyway, so there's no need to rush. Just make sure to post a new reply when you're able to share it because edits don't generate notifications.