Replay Mod Forums

Multithreaded rendering
    • User
    • 3 forum posts
    User26560

May 30 16, 08:36 PM

Can you make the rendering multi-core?

I have a 6 core 3.3 GHz processor, so it's so slow to render videos.

• User
    • 3 forum posts
    User26560

Jun 02 16, 06:01 PM

And every core is split, so it's using only the 9% of the cpu on full speed :(

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts
    User10

Jun 08 16, 05:05 PM

No, we can't make the rendering multi-core.
    That's because the majority of the work is done by your GPU, not your CPU.
    And that's also where your bottleneck most likely is: Either your GPU isn't strong enough or the bandwidth of its connection to the RAM is too small.
    Side note: We already do use multiple cores for the things that are done by the CPU (e.g. converting six normal images into one equirectangular one) however on normal machines that's the minority of the overall workload.

Another bottleneck might be the encoder. You can check that fairly easily by selecting Potato Quality and testing if it runs any faster.
    Should the encoder be the bottleneck, please refer to the ffmpeg documentations as it is its own software.

• User
    • 3 forum posts
    User26560

Jun 11 16, 11:11 PM

I tested it, it's faster, but as time goes it is getting slower. My pc config: GPU: GTX 970, CPU: Intel i7 5820k, Ram 8 GB DDR 4 2400mhz. My videocard is strong enought, thanks for your reply! :)

• User
    • 3 forum posts

I tested it, it's faster, but as time goes it is getting slower. My pc config: GPU: GTX 970, CPU: Intel i7 5820k, Ram 8 GB DDR 4 2400mhz. My videocard is strong enought, thanks for your reply! :)

You have a better build than me, and I can render videos really fast. I don't understand why you are having this problem.