Replay Mod Forums

Keeping Rendered Chunks Rendered
    • User
    • 60 forum posts
    User929

Sep 27 17, 04:26 PM

In normal multiplayer, if you have your render distance set higher than the server's render distance, the Minecraft client will remember already rendered chunks, and keep them in view even though the server isn't serving those chunks any longer.

Is there a way to trick the client into doing that during a replay render? That would remove the flashing in and out chunk problem we see in many replay renders today!

I'm sure you've thought of this, and can't make it work, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask!

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts
    User10

Sep 27 17, 06:18 PM

Cannot reproduce, chunks kept despawning behind me on a vanilla server with view-distance=2 and a forge 1.8 client with render distance 16.

• User
    • 60 forum posts
    User929

Sep 28 17, 08:58 PM

When I get home I'll take a quick video. It might be an optifine feature come to think of it.

• User
    • 60 forum posts
    User929

Oct 05 17, 06:15 PM

Sorry, took me a while to get around to setting up a server with a render distance of 2.

This is what I experiance using the latest version of forge with optifine and replaymod installed as mods.

https://youtu.be/3kW_-HTOYxc

I'm going to turn off Optifine now and see if it's what's making this possible.

• User
    • 60 forum posts
    User929

Oct 05 17, 06:26 PM | Last edited: Oct 05 17, 06:27 PM

Removed Optifine, same result. Switched to vanilla same result.

I'm on vanilla 1.12.1 running on a spigot server with voxel and world edit running on it. I'm now working hard to try to recreate what you've experienced. I've tried looking through the options, I changed my render distance to 16 (from 32) I removed my resource packs.

I've done everything save from switching to a vanilla server or switching the server to an earlier version of minecraft so I can test other versions.

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts
    User10

Oct 05 17, 06:57 PM

I just tried it with 1.8 RM on vanilla server and I'm still getting the same behavior.
    However with 1.12.2 RM on vanilla server I'm getting the same behavior as shown in your video, though I'm also getting it during replaying and rendering: https://i.johni0702.de/2017_10_05_18_42_21.webm (client render distance on 12, server on 2)

• User
    • 60 forum posts
    User929

Oct 05 17, 07:12 PM | Last edited: Oct 05 17, 07:15 PM

OK! I assumed the flickering edge issue would still be an issue, but it's not.

The problem I was having, is that I'd be watching my replay as I'm editing it, and I would see the whole scene. But then I would render, and it wouldn't render out those extra chunks.

Now I know why. The rendering system (and rightly so) only starts rendering chunks from the starting point of your first time keyframe. So any chunk that would have been rendered prior to that point, wont show up on the replay render.

So basically, if I want those chunks to show up in a replay render, I need to include the part of my recording where I walk around to get those chunks to load, as part of the replay render, then edit that beginning part out in post.

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure if there's an efficient way for your system to make sure to render those extra chunks prior to starting the clip... it would likely add a significant amount to the render time. I'll just have to add my work around to my work flow :)