• 53 forum posts
    User5855

Aug 23 15, 06:51 PM

Title says it all.

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts
    User10

Aug 23 15, 06:57 PM

Most sounds are recorded (every sound the server sends to you). They aren't exported to the video files though.

• User
    • 10 forum posts
    User8838

Aug 24 15, 04:04 AM

You can use another program to record your audio while viewing your replay and put it together in a video editor. An extra step but at least a way to get the in game audio. If your replay is no longer playing audio, in my experience, it's best to save your keyframes by exiting, reloading the replay and the keyframes from the repository, and going directly to playback before making any more changes.

I use a free open source program called Audacity with these settings to record the sound being played into my headset:

• User
    • 1 forum post
    User11307

Sep 02 15, 03:20 AM

Dynamite, would you, or anyone for that matter, mind describing the steps to add the audio to the video? I am making 360 degree tutorial videos with this mod and need to be able to speak during the tutorial. I have downloaded the aforementioned Audacity as you suggested, but what video editor would allow me to combine the audio with the 360 video?

• User
    • 10 forum posts

Dynamite, would you, or anyone for that matter, mind describing the steps to add the audio to the video? I am making 360 degree tutorial videos with this mod and need to be able to speak during the tutorial. I have downloaded the aforementioned Audacity as you suggested, but what video editor would allow me to combine the audio with the 360 video?

Personally I use Sony Vegas, but nearly any video editor should have the ability to pair video and audio in separate tracks. The tricky part is getting the timing correct between the video and the audio.

Im not sure exactly how replaymod gives you the sound, but from my experience it seems to be all sounds near the camera. So before rendering I would start Audacity recording with the above shown settings, then watch my replay clip one last time before rendering and saving the audio wav file the same name as what I call my new render. Then later pair the two up in the the video editor trying to use at least one distinct event to sync the audio with the video.

Here's what my tracks looked like for the EnderDragon Adventure Trailer I made.
    Green is my intro/outro audio/video
    Purple are the replay tracks:
    1 rendered video track is done with nightvision, and the other without.
    Then the two purple audio tracks are a compilation of the wav files I recorded for each video clip.
    Yellow is edited team speak recordings that go with each clip
    Red is background music.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• User
    • 53 forum posts

Most sounds are recorded (every sound the server sends to you). They aren't exported to the video files though.
    Could there be an option for it to add sound to the output file?

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts

Theoretically yes. But when I first looked into it it seemed to be extremely difficult (I might have just missed something but from what I could tell it would basically require us to build our own audio mixing library or record the game output which would be highly platform dependent and wouldn't sound right if you changed the replay speed).
    We have sound on the list of things to do eventually but tbh I can't think of anything with less priority.

• User
    • 9 forum posts
    User446

in response to User10

Nov 21 15, 05:06 AM | Last edited: Nov 21 15, 05:08 AM

Theoretically yes. But when I first looked into it it seemed to be extremely difficult (I might have just missed something but from what I could tell it would basically require us to build our own audio mixing library or record the game output which would be highly platform dependent and wouldn't sound right if you changed the replay speed).
    We have sound on the list of things to do eventually but tbh I can't think of anything with less priority.

ffmpeg has a built in muxer.

Just record the audio via WASAF loopback into .aac, then do
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -i input_audio.aac -map 0:0 -map 1 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mp4

Also, about the replay speed, it actually can be used to change the tempo in a note block song, which is otherwise stuck at 150BPM. 1.5x speed would be 200BPM which does sound good still.

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts
    User10

in response to User446

Nov 22 15, 09:12 PM

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -i input_audio.aac -map 0:0 -map 1 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mp4

Also, about the replay speed, it actually can be used to change the tempo in a note block song, which is otherwise stuck at 150BPM. 1.5x speed would be 200BPM which does sound good still.

Sorry but I can't find anything about this "WASAF", could you link me to some documentation about it?
    I doubt it is useful for the core problem though (that is we can't record sound in the same pass as we record video). Imagine rendering a replay which contains so many entities (be it TNT, villagers or whatever) that your PC can't handle it and it only renders VERY slowly. We'd have to have some way of telling the recorder which sounds started/stopped playing / faded in/out / got louder / moved in some direction, etc. on a per-frame basis.

• User
    • 9 forum posts
    User446

in response to User10

Dec 08 15, 07:52 AM | Last edited: Dec 08 15, 08:07 AM

Sorry but I can't find anything about this "WASAF", could you link me to some documentation about it?
    I doubt it is useful for the core problem though (that is we can't record sound in the same pass as we record video). Imagine rendering a replay which contains so many entities (be it TNT, villagers or whatever) that your PC can't handle it and it only renders VERY slowly. We'd have to have some way of telling the recorder which sounds started/stopped playing / faded in/out / got louder / moved in some direction, etc. on a per-frame basis.

Audacity has three options to record and playback sound.

MME, Windows DirectSound, and Windows WASAF.
    Audacity uses Windows WASAF to record computer sounds without the need for stereo mix via a loopback from an audio-out cable.

When viewing the replay before rendering by pressing the [Play Keyframes] button, it sends out audio, doesn't it?

With the same technology that Audacity uses to record computer sound. you can Shift + [Play Keyframes] to make it record an audio track in the background, up until the last keyframe.

There shouldn't be any syncing involved since the audio track should the the same length as the video.

When it's done recording, the audio will be temporarily saved in the background (with small text in the bottom right corner saying "Saving Audio...")

When rendering the video, simply add an option to add the (now saved) audio track as an audio track for the output video.

• User
    • 53 forum posts
    User5855

Jan 11 16, 09:48 AM

That just went over my head. I think this is what you guys are saying:
    Johni: "Hard to do, cant really add"
    steve: "Easy, {explanation}"
    Johni: "That doesn't work, link to webpage?"
    steve: "{explained in more detail}"

About right?

• User
    • 37 forum posts
    User668

Jan 15 16, 03:48 PM | Last edited: Feb 10 16, 04:00 PM

Where is the answer?
    I want to read more!
    @User446 @User10

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts

Where is the answer?
    I want to read more!
    @User446 @User10

The main problem is still unsolved:
    Record sound in such a way that no matter how fast your game runs (no matter how long the game takes to replay the path).
    I still can't find any documentation about "WASAF" (though this time I've just given it a very quick google) but is seems pretty useless if it's Windows only ("Windows WASAF").

• User
    • 9 forum posts

Where is the answer?
    I want to read more!
    @User446 @User10

The main problem is still unsolved:
    Record sound in such a way that no matter how fast your game runs (no matter how long the game takes to replay the path).
    I still can't find any documentation about "WASAF" (though this time I've just given it a very quick google) but is seems pretty useless if it's Windows only ("Windows WASAF").

Note Block Studio v3.3.0 can export MP3 using ffmpeg without playing through the whole thing. This can be recorded in whatever tempo, whatever notes and sounds are played. Although, it uses Game Maker's default sound engine. (but both this and ReplayMod use ffmpeg as an extension for their audio.)

Here's an example (this exports a 4 minute song in less than 2 minutes.)-

• Developer
    • 818 forum posts
    User1

Feb 27 16, 01:51 PM

Even if NoteBlock Studio also uses ffmpeg to output sound, that doesn't mean we can output Minecraft's ingame sound to a video file.
    The reason for that is not that we're unable to feed the video file with sound, the reason is that we're unable to capture the sound from the game.

• User
    • 9 forum posts
    User446

in response to User1

Feb 27 16, 11:25 PM

Even if NoteBlock Studio also uses ffmpeg to output sound, that doesn't mean we can output Minecraft's ingame sound to a video file.
    The reason for that is not that we're unable to feed the video file with sound, the reason is that we're unable to capture the sound from the game.

Ah, thanks for the clearup.