Replay Mod Forums

Option to include Chat when rendering?
    • User
    • 132 forum posts
    User738

Sep 20 15, 06:46 PM

As I am getting into Rendering, there have been many occasions when I wanted to be able to transfer the chat interface when rendering. Could the ReplayMod include a toggleable option to show/hide chat when rendering our replay footages? This could also apply for First Person views, where you are able to see the scoreboard on your replay once it has been rendered.

All opinions would be appreciated :)

• User
    • 132 forum posts
    User738

Sep 21 15, 03:58 PM

I was hoping to get a Developer to read this, I just want to know whether this could be a possibility in the future?

• Beta Tester
    • 249 forum posts
    User20

Sep 21 15, 06:24 PM

This topic has been discussed several times already. I think (!) it came to the conlusion that Chat isn't something really necessary to understand the point of a video / game. (If so, the game makers inserted chat wrongly). So yeah, not likely to happen in the near future.

• User
    • 132 forum posts
    User738

in response to User20

Sep 22 15, 07:20 AM

This topic has been discussed several times already. I think (!) it came to the conlusion that Chat isn't something really necessary to understand the point of a video / game. (If so, the game makers inserted chat wrongly). So yeah, not likely to happen in the near future.
    You do provide a good point, however having Scoreboard/Chat Interfaces in Rendered Replays will be helpful for a few things, one of them being used as evidence for rule breakers, and appealing for innocence.

I have had a discussion with the Staff at Mineplex about the possible implementations of using the ReplayMod as an alternative to the usual screen recorder. However they have rejected this because it hides all of the GUI which otherwise would be used to tell between forged and real evidence. I know more users want the ReplayMod to be used for more than just Cinematics, and maybe making it a viable tool for evidence gathering when we do reports and appeals on major servers would make a lot of users lives easier.

Maybe having a chat interface in a ReplayMod isn't needed, however some GUI which engraves statistics on the replay, to prove that the footage takes from the replay has occurred on (x) and has been taken on (x).

• Developer
    • 1883 forum posts
    User10

Sep 22 15, 10:57 AM

GUI is easier to fake than anything else in a video, so I don't see why it'd be required to create authentic evidence. Was that discussion on the forums? If so, could you link it so I can read it?

I don't see how you could use a video/replay for appealing at all and if any server accepts such method as a way to prove your innocence their system is majorly flawed imho.

Adding the chat and scoreboard GUI shouldn't be difficult. However, unless that's the only reason a major server doesn't accept it as evidence for reports, I don't think it's worth adding.

• Beta Tester
    • 125 forum posts
    User37

Sep 22 15, 02:37 PM

I would personally like this to be a toggle-able feature too but for other reasons.

The reality is that if someone wants to forge evidence, they would go to great lengths to do it. Having the chat and scoreboard visible would not make it any harder for them to forge evidence, however I do see their point of view in that it would be easier to accept evidence captured using the Replay Mod if you could see scoreboards etc. I know on the Hypixel network they usually put the date in the scoreboard, and while this could very easily be replicated by someone that wants to forge evidence, it still goes a long way in preventing players getting banned for the same offence multiple times.

I can see why this feature would be low priority, but if it is easy to implement then it would just add value to the mod for those that want such a feature :) Just my two cents.

I wouldn't, however, want the developers to take time away from more important features and/or fixes just to add this.

• User
    • 132 forum posts
    User738

Sep 22 15, 02:59 PM | Last edited: Sep 22 15, 03:00 PM

GUI is easier to fake than anything else in a video, so I don't see why it'd be required to create authentic evidence. Was that discussion on the forums? If so, could you link it so I can read it?

I don't see how you could use a video/replay for appealing at all and if any server accepts such method as a way to prove your innocence their system is majorly flawed imho.

Adding the chat and scoreboard GUI shouldn't be difficult. However, unless that's the only reason a major server doesn't accept it as evidence for reports, I don't think it's worth adding.

Adding GUI Visibility options was rather a personal solution which I thought of since that is what is used to recognise the environment of the server. This could be used to prove the legitimacy of the server, identifying whether disproved teaming occurred on the Solo Games, or may be used to identify the date of when the Replay was recorded.

Lets put it this way. If you record evidence of someone hacking in F1, there isn't too many factors which could account for the legitimacy of the evidence. However without F1, you will have scoreboards, chat, and maybe even (not really recommended nor needed) Boss Health (used mostly for server advertising), which are several ways that the evidence can be viable in proving that the conditions are met to punish the rule-breaker.

And I have only been discussing this with friends and Mineplex staff through TeamSpeak, both within chat and voice communication. However, if further implementations do occur, I hope to bring up this change with Mineplex specifically, and see if they can consider ReplayMod as a viable alternative evidence collector for Appeals and Reports.

I would personally like this to be a toggle-able feature too but for other reasons.

The reality is that if someone wants to forge evidence, they would go to great lengths to do it. Having the chat and scoreboard visible would not make it any harder for them to forge evidence, however I do see their point of view in that it would be easier to accept evidence captured using the Replay Mod if you could see scoreboards etc. I know on the Hypixel network they usually put the date in the scoreboard, and while this could very easily be replicated by someone that wants to forge evidence, it still goes a long way in preventing players getting banned for the same offence multiple times.

I can see why this feature would be low priority, but if it is easy to implement then it would just add value to the mod for those that want such a feature :) Just my two cents.

I wouldn't, however, want the developers to take time away from more important features and/or fixes just to add this.

You put this very well, and I am glad you were able to post this because this is the type of reasoning I was trying to describe, however as you stated, it shouldn't be highly prioritized. If it becomes a hassle to implement into the ReplayMod, it is best to maybe think of another implementation to make this mod a viable tool for evidence collecting, since then again, that isn't the mods focus.

All I ask is that the Developers take an attempt in adding this is, and seeing how it goes, and hopefully it will be featured!

• User
    • 15 forum posts
    User32545

Jun 27 16, 04:25 AM

I think a chat option in the replay mod would be amazing, It's already great, and It seems pretty easy to add a chat option when rendering cause it's an option when it's pre-rendered, but it would just be pretty neat to have around.

• User
    • 1 forum post
    User58397

Mar 19 17, 02:15 AM

It would be a nice simple feature where you can just toggle it either off or on for both chat and scoreboard. A lot of people would benefit from it.